EMBARQ India seeks applications for its 2013 Internship Programme, for project and research work on sustainable transport and urban development in Indian cities.
About the programme
Each intern will be given one research or project assignment that s/he will have to independently, or together with the EMBARQ team, complete by the end of the internship program. The topics will be related to EMBARQ India’s work in sustainable transport development in Indian cities. Each intern will be assigned a mentor who will be an EMBARQ India staff member. At the end of the internship, the candidate will be required to prepare and submit a comprehensive report documenting the work carried out during the internship and also make a presentation on the internship assignment.
The candidate must be presently pursuing, or have recently completed, a Masters or PhD degree or diploma course in any of the following fields: Urban-regional planning; Transport planning; Urban design; Conservation and Settlement Studies; Environment studies; Transport engineering; Transport economics. Applicants with a background in graphic design will also be considered. Students, who are pursuing any other Masters or PhD degree or diploma courses may also apply, if their course work includes a sub-specialization in urban transport, urban development, accessibility, mobility, etc.
Candidates, who have already completed their Masters or PhD degree or diploma course may also apply for this internship, if not more than one year has passed since the completion of the course, and they have not taken up any other employment (permanent or temporary) in this interim period.
Eligible candidates must also meet the following criteria:
• Strong understanding of sustainable transport, coupled with the passion and commitment to work in this area in a developing country
• Willingness to live and work in challenging environments, with minimum supervision
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Detail oriented, highly organized
• Strong analytical and research aptitude with a sound theoretical background
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Further, knowledge of Indian languages will be beneficial, but not necessary.
• Well-versed in the techniques of writing academic papers and research publications
• Skilled in preparing well-written reports with visually appealing graphs, drawings, images and report layout.
• Proficient in basic computer software, like MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint. Knowledge of other software will be beneficial, but not necessary; such as software for advanced data analytics, engineering drafting, GIS application, sketching/imaging, transport modeling, report writing, etc
• Past relevant work experience, (before completion of the candidate’s most recent Masters or PhD degree or diploma), will also beneficial.
The internship will be for 8 to 12 weeks, between April to October 2013, depending upon the availability of the candidate.
The candidate will be located in India for the duration of the internship (the city is dependent on the project for which the applicant is selected)
• The candidate will be provided a monthly stipend that is meant to partly cover his/her expenses during the internship, which may include boarding, lodging, food, local conveyance and other incidental expenses within the city where the intern is based.
• For international applications, a partial contribution towards flight tickets to and from India, visa fees and insurance will be given.
Travel expenses outside the local city for project work will be reimbursed. Other non-incidental work-related expenses will also be reimbursed.
Interested applicants should email their CV and a brief covering letter to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please use the subject: “Internship at EMBARQ India- Name of Applicant”.
Applications close on April 15, 2013
EMBARQ India is part of the EMBARQ Network that includes centers in Mexico, the Andes, Brazil, Turkey and China. EMBARQ seeks to catalyze and help implement sustainable urban mobility solutions to improve quality of life and protect the environment. EMBARQ is the urban transport initiative of the World Resources Institute; an environmental think-tank founded in 1982 in Washington, DC, USA.
EMBARQ India has been actively promoting the development of sustainable transport in a number of Indian cities. Its project and research work spans various fields, like bus operations; Bus Rapid Transit; road safety audits; transit oriented development; station accessibility; non-motorized transport; and para-transit service. EMBARQ India also works actively in the areas of research and policy for sustainable transport.